Wednesday 1 June 2011

Possible New Plan For Project

This is with regard to the previous blog post. Let's try to bring FOSS instruction to a new level.

I have created a wiki: HopOver
http://hopover.wikia.com/

The idea is simple. To help software users "HopOver" into the open source world. This idea is to not only tell people about open free software equivalents, but also guide them with feature equivalents within each software.

Example: How to do the same thing on GIMP as the "lasso" tool in photoshop. If there is no direct feature equivalent, an alternative method can be introduced.

It will not be thick GIMP for Dummies with all the instruction on complex design maneuvres, but it will introduce the basic common equivalent tool, enough for new users of the software to take baby steps. Photoshop/GIMP is just an example of such pages and there are others like PowerPoint/Impress. Libre/Microsoft Office would be an easy start before we tackle more complex software equivalents.

I just created the homepage, and I'll touch it up and contribute some About pages tomorrow.

Note: Sorry, I haven't discussed this idea with you guys (rest of the team) yet because I just came up with it just now in the middle of the night (didn't want to wake you both) and I thought I'd log it down here before I forget in the morning. This is not our finalised project plan yet, so do not be alarmed if you see this post. I still need to hear what you both think.

No comments:

Post a Comment