Wednesday 22 June 2011

Post-Project Thoughts

I guess the greatest challenge we faced was to gather a community of contributors. We initailly thought contributors and viewers would naturally come if we just spread the word out onto the forums, but from this experience, we learned that it isn't as simple as that.

What we could have done instead was to focus on a specific niche, like the GIMP community, and let them develop a comprehensive GIMP guide for Photoshop users, then eventually brach out to other software equivalents.

I think our advertising options were limited also because it isn't semester time, when we could have actaully approach IT clubs to contribute. Since it is the inter-semester break season, we had no one to physically approach because these clubs weren't in meeting.

But our advertising efforts were not in vain. Just this morning, I received 2 replies from facebooks contacts agreeing to contribute to the wiki. I dare not keep my hopes up because I have already seen several empty promises when it comes to contributions. Still, I believe this wikia has plenty of potential to grow into a useful "software dictionary".

No comments:

Post a Comment